Using interactive teaching methods for the study of medical parasitology
Keywords:interactive teaching methods, situational task, role-playing game, parasitic diseases
AbstractThe article deals with the possibility of application of interactive teaching methods in the course of medical parasitology for students taking as an example the situational tasks and conducting role-playing games. We compared the efficiency of mastering learning material by the medical university students through individual and group ways for solving certain problems. The use of training innovative methods and technologies are directed to developing creativity and initiative of the students. Many scientists studied the question of the organization of educational process in medical university, but the question of interactive teaching for the medical parasitology study needs further consideration. The purpose of the article — practical substantiation of interactive forms of learning while studying the medical parasitology discipline. Parasitic diseases continue to occupy an important place among human diseases both in Europe and in Ukraine. This indicates the need to study parasitology in the structure of diseases of modern humanity. Medical parasitology is studied by Donetsk National Medical University students during the first and second years on the medical and dental faculties. The study includes lectures and practical lessons, independent controlled work of students and the current module control. A special feature of practical training is the use of a great amount of illustrative material. To improve the efficiency of mastering medical parasitology academic course material during the practical training, the students have to solve situational tasks and conduct role-playing games. Role-playing games simulate life situations, consider the epidemiology of parasitic diseases. The example of the situational task. The man lives in the countryside and grows vegetables, often uses water from local pond. He complains of the pain in the right upper quadrant, has characteristic attacks, nausea, flatulence. The examination shows the increase of liver, reduction of red blood cells and hemoglobin in the blood. There are large yellowish-brown eggs with a cap at one pole in faeces. Questions: 1. Infection of what helminthes you may suggest? What is this disease? 2. How was he infected? 3. Describe the life cycle of the parasite. 4. Note the morphological features of the parasite. 5. What are preventive measures? The example of role-playing game. Students are divided into 2 groups: one subgroup is “patients with ascariasis”, another is “doctors”. Both groups have to understand all symptoms, localization of helminthes, geographical distribution, morphology, life cycle, adverse reaction, laboratory diagnosis, prevention. Subgroups choose a “patient” and a “doctor” and imitate the situation of patient’s treatment. “Sick person” complains of cough, skin rash. He has a low-grade temperature of the body. There are different forms of infiltration on radiographs, increasing the number of white blood cells. The patient bought strawberries at the market. Strawberries are not examined on helminthiasis. “Doctor” exams the patient, makes a preliminary diagnosis, appoints immunological reactions taking sputum to detect larvae. Interactive methods ensure an efficient learning process for students of the medical parasitology discipline. They forms the professional thinking of students and promotes: professional and personal development of the students; stimulate learning and cognitive activity; mastering skills of a comprehensive analysis of situations; rapid decision-making; ability to analyze additional information to clarify the initial situation; autonomy in decision-making; mastering practical experience of benefiting from their own and other people’s mistakes.
Артюхина А.И. Интерактивные методы обучения в медицинском вузе / А.И. Артюхина, В.И. Чумаков. — Волгоград: Изд-во ВолгГМУ, 2012. —
Альмухамбетова С.К. Ситуационные задачи как форма интерактивного изучения медицинской паразитологии / С.К. Альмухамбетова, К.С. Нуртаева, Е.У. Куандыков, Ж.А. Кашаганова [Електронний ресурс]. — Режим доступу: http://repository.kaznu.kz/bitstream/handle/123456789/754/107-207-1-SM.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y.
Сікарчук О.І. Інтерактивні методи навчання у вищій школі: навч.-метод. посіб. / О.І. Сікарчук. — К.: Таксон, 2006. — 88 с.
Copyright (c) 2017 UKRAINIAN JOURNAL OF SURGERY
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Our edition uses the copyright terms of Creative Commons for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this journal, agree with the following terms:
- The authors retain rights for authorship of their article and grant to the edition the right of first publication of the article on a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which allows others to freely distribute the published article, with the obligatory reference to the authors of original works and original publication in this journal.
- Directing the article for the publication to the editorial board (publisher), the author agrees with transmitting of rights for the protection and using the article, including parts of the article, which are protected by the copyrights, such as the author’s photo, pictures, charts, tables, etc., including the reproduction in the media and the Internet; for distributing; for the translation of the manuscript in all languages; for export and import of the publications copies of the writers’ article to spread, bringing to the general information.
- The rights mentioned above authors transfer to the edition (publisher) for the unlimited period of validity and on the territory of all countries of the world.
- The authors guarantee that they have exclusive rights for using of the article, which they have sent to the edition (publisher). The edition (the publisher) is not responsible for the violation of given guarantees by the authors to the third parties.
- The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive distribution of their article in the form in which it had been published in the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.
- The policy of the journal permits and encourages the publication of the article in the Internet (in institutional repository or on a personal website) by the authors, because it contributes to productive scientific discussion and a positive effect on efficiency and dynamics of the citation of the article.
- The rights to the article are deemed transferred by the authors to the edition (the publisher) since the moment of the publication of the article in the printed or electronic version of journal.